Welcome SBIFF Volunteers!
38th Annual Santa Barbara International Film Festival
The Volunteer Code (3 R's)
VOLUNTEER CODE: The 3 R’s
Respect, Responsibility, Representation
- Respect all those involved in making the festival possible. Be as polite, friendly, and helpful as possible during every interaction.
- Respect the confidentiality of the festival and all those involved. Everyone loves to be in the know but in some cases, you MUST refrain from sharing certain information. Examples are: do not speak to press, do not share information regarding party locations or special guests, and do not gossip about artists and celebrities attending the festival.
- Respect the pass and ticket structure of the festival. Know and follow the rules and timing of guest entry to each event.
- Know your shifts and schedule.
- Know what is expected of you during your shifts.
- Know who your team leader is and ask questions if you don’t know what to do.
- Show up to shifts on time, meet the commitment you have made, and keep track of your ambassador shirt and pass.
- Give out accurate information and know where to find answers to questions you don’t know.
- Be informed on the pass structure, venue locations, daily events, and details regarding your particular volunteer assignment.
- Be an ambassador for SBIFF.
- Represent the festival in the best possible way.
- Dress appropriately and follow the volunteer dress code.
- Refrain from eating, smoking, chewing gum, or drinking beverages other than bottled water.
- Keep interactions with talent and guests professional. No asking for photos or handing out cards and scripts while on duty.
The basic volunteer requirements for SBIFF 2023 are as follows:
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old
- Volunteers must sign up for a minimum of five shifts
- Volunteers must attend virtual orientation
VOLUNTEER BENEFIT PACKAGE
SHIFT REQUIREMENT: 5 (est. 15 hours)
- Volunteer Pass – grants access to ALL in person and online film screenings during the Festival
FOR EACH SHIFT OVER THE REQUIRED 5
- One complimentary ticket to a film at SBIFF’s Riviera Theatre, valid for one year after re-opening
- One raffle entry for Festival Merchandise
FOR EACH SHIFT OVER THE REQUIRED 8
- One raffle entry for next year’s Festival Passes
SBIFF’s volunteers are organized into six teams. These teams determine a specific facet of the event in which you will work.
SBIFF recommends joining no more than TWO teams. This ensures that volunteers will adjust to each team’s needs and become more effective at each new shift.
The Film Screenings Team assists at the cinema venues: Metro 4, Fiesta 5, and Arlington Theatres.
Assist with Crowd control, Answering Questions, Taking tickets, Counting attendees
Requirements: Customer service experience, Attention to detail, A proactive mindset
The Kids’ Events team assists with SBIFF’s educational event, Mike’s Field Trip to the Movies. All events take place at the Arlington Theatre.
Assist with, Crowd control at kids’ movie screenings, Escorting school groups to and from seats
Requirements: Customer service experience, Experience working with children, Spanish speaking skills beneficial
Arlington Courtyard (Must be 21+)
The Arlington Courtyard Team supports SBIFF’s special events such as the VIP Happy Hours.
Assist with Checking tickets, passes and IDs, Serving refreshments, Bussing tables
Requirements: Customer service experience, A flexible schedule, Reliable transportation
The Festival Hub Team supports SBIFF’s Hospitality, Ticketing and Volunteer departments at SBIFF’s Education Center (1330 State St).
Assist with Welcoming guests, Answering questions, Distributing passholder gift bags
Requirements: A friendly and polite demeanor, Previous hospitality experience, Foreign language skills beneficial
The Tributes Team assists the staff at SBIFF’s red carpet events at the Arlington Theatre.
Assist with Managing lines at awards events, Taking tickets, Counting attendees
Requirements: Customer service experience, Experience working under pressure, A firm yet polite demeanor
The Heavy Lifting Team assists with the setup and breakdown of the metal barricades around the red carpet area at SBIFF’s Tributes.
Assist with Setting up metal barricades, Taking down metal barricades
Requirements: Ability to work in cold or rainy weather, Ability to lift heavy weights
Shift sign-ups will begin at TBA
How to choose a shift
Log in to your Volunteer profile, or click on “Events” in the upper right hand corner. You should be taken to SBIFF’s Volunteer Landing Page.
You will see a list of shifts, or “events” on the lower half of the page.
Click on the red “Sign Up” button to the right of each shift listed.
How to see your schedule
Log in to your VolunteerHub profile. You should be taken to SBIFF’s Volunteer Landing Page.
Click on “My Schedule” in the upper right hand corner.
How to cancel your shifts
- Log in to your VolunteerHub profile.
- Click on “My Schedule” in the upper right hand corner.
- Click on the gray “Cancel Registration” button next to the shift you would like to cancel.
- Confirm your cancellation by clicking on the red “Next” button.
Email Lena Childers at firstname.lastname@example.org